Qualcomm Technologies, a business unit of Qualcomm Incorporated has unveiled its Snapdragon 618 IP camera which has in-built advanced video analytics features. This new network camera has a combination of traits such as processing, connectivity, imaging and analytics to support more powerful and intelligent professional security cameras.
Qualcomm Snapdragon 618 IP camera includes a reference design and IP camera SDK, supporting 4K HEVC video, comprehensive connectivity and heterogeneous computing for video analytics.
Qualcomm tags its new release as a “Conscious IP Camera” that not only streams 4K HEVC, but can perform on-camera video analytics such as object detection, facial recognition, multi object tracking and Qualcomm Zeroth object classification.
The Chinese maker is in a hope that with all the intelligence embedded in its camera, users can move from expensive server based Video analytics in the cloud to more camera based analytics.
Generally, most network cameras doest record all the time. They only turn on when they see something, usually motion. But if the camera starts recording a cat leaping before it, mailman or robot vacuum activating it; it should connect with the cloud to recognize the object, and sometimes when it dos that, it still records, consuming bandwidth, power and storage.
But on the other hand, Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 618 IP camera platform can do on-board analytics, so things like face detection, object recognition and object tracking are all done on the camera.
The other highlight of Qualcomm Snapdragon 618 IP camera is that it can integrate LTE modem for camera applications that need to connect away from a Wi-Fi network.
Qualcomm Snapdragon 618 IP camera specifications are as follows-
- It has a six-core, 64-bit CPU with dual 1.8 GHZ ARM CortexTM A72 + quad 1.2 GHZ Cortex A53 cores.
- The security camera can be integrated with X8 LTE with global mode and advanced carrier aggregation up to 2×20 MHz in both downlink and uplink.
- With the support for LTE cat 7 300 Mbps download and 100 Mbps upload is possible.
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 618 IP camera is enriched with comprehensive, fast connectivity including 802.11/a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi support, GPS support, Ethernet connectivity and Bluetooth Smart 4.1
- Next generation Qualcomm Adreno GPU and Qualcomm Hexagon DSP together with the six-core 64-bit CPU to provide complete, heterogeneous computing platform for conscious camera advanced analytics and imaging
- Has Dual image signal processors (ISP) to offer support for up to 21MP images and 4K video with dedicated hardware h.264 and HEVC encoding, offering as much as a 50 percent reduction in bandwidth
- It has Power management IC with integrated audio codec supports efficient battery operation
Generally, IP cameras with embedded intelligence meant for security surveillance purposes are quite expensive. But Qualcomm Snapdragon 618 network cameras meant for video surveillance application will be available at a competitive price on a commercial note from first half of 2016.