Disasters can strike data centers without notice and the only thing which acts as a savior under these circumstances is a disaster recovery plan. And mind you, the absence of this plan can put data center revenue and customer satisfaction at high risk.
For instance, Vodafone’s data centre in Istanbul suffered a flash flood and as a result suffered a $1 million USD loss. Similarly, a transformer exploded inside the Canadian ISP Shaw’s data centre which fetched $3.4 million loss for just 30 minutes of downtime. And Go Daddy had a six-hour outage owing to bad data which resulted in huge losses for the web services provider. So, this proves that even the big company data centers are not immune to catastrophes.
Here’s where the five imperatives of disaster recovery planning come to rescue.
- Failover quickly- If in case, a disaster strikes a data center, then with a proper DR planning, failover can be achieved from a second DR site in the blink of an eye provided the best technology is in place. And all that takes place in the background is isolated from customers. Just your IT data centre managers spot that the service previously running in data centre X now runs in the failover centre Y on the other side of state or region.
- Maintaining notable visibility and control- When disaster strikes, you need a single, complete view of the DR process i.e. visibility into the end-to-end sequence of events that occurs between your primary data centre failing and the second site taking over. If you rely on manual processes, that visibility and control just isn’t there. Your knowledge is buried in a mass of manuals, dependencies written down somewhere on spreadsheets and complexity you just can’t cope with. This is where; an automated recovery helps in having the best visibility and control, which helps in quickly recovering the IT service. So, do keep this factor in mind while shopping for a DR plan.
- Know how long the recovery will take- By knowing the recovery time one can always estimate the losses incurred in the period of downtime. This helps in taking additional steps of keeping essential services on run during a disaster to cut down losses, until the source of downtime is discovered.
- Understand the root cause of the problem- It is better to have a plan which helps in identifying the root cause of downtime in an automated way. If you go for manual identification, then the actual problem can never be solved. For example, your IT service goes down. You fix what you believe to be the problem, only to find the service collapses later the same day. It transpires that the flood in your data centre not only hit the network server, it also corrupted the web server two racks down. So, automaton helps in fixing the services right from the root.
- Test the DR plan on a regular note- It is better to test the DR plan on a regular note. This procedure ensures that if you smell smoke, you can make the decision to move to a secondary site and maintain the same levels of confidentiality and integrity while maintaining availability using temporary facilities. It also helps in giving you enough time to solve the issue without much loss.
Now, if you are in a confused state of where to start from to have a Disaster recovery plan…? Don’t worry!
DNF Corporation will be at your service. Dynamic Network Factory (DNF) will offer you an efficient insurance policy against disaster disruption by implementing a business continuity plan in place.
By seeking DR planning services from DNF, organizations can benefit in various ways:
- Access top-quality expertise in flexible and cost-effective ways
- Minimize and manage risk better with dashboard and expert updates
- Maximize restructuring & reduce control operating costs by outsourcing non-core functions
- Leverage an innovative culture, dedicated to precise IT engineering
So, what are you waiting for? Please visit DNF Contact Us page to begin with