In general, they are two types of NAS systems- scale up and scale out. A scale-up NAS system is typically node based architecture with separate modules for storage and processing. In this architecture when the need arises, each module can be added to a cluster on an independent note.
In a Scale out NAS system, the architecture is available in the form of a node which has a combination of processing power and storage capacity in every node. When the need arises a node can be added to cluster to boost performance and capacity needs.
To be frank, both types of NAS systems benefit video surveillance systems for reasons-
- Standard network protocols like SMB, NFS, and HTTP enable all operating systems like Linux, UNIX, MAC OS X, and Microsoft Windows to interface with the storage systems.
- IP based storage systems deliver a rapid ROI when they store data for multiple applications because users can consolidate workflows into a single storage system.
- Since, NAS uses standard protocols for access and modification; it abstracts the data protection schemes and underlying structures.
- NAS abstracts the physical location of the data, making video mappings to NAS volumes much less dependent on the data’s physical location.
Scale up NAS systems mimic traditional storage systems and clustered scale up NAS systems contain many volumes and require users to manually migrate data among components.
DNF Security SAN+Scale OUT NAS appliances overcome the problems that undermine traditional NAS systems by combining the three traditional layers of storage architecture- file system, Block storage, volume manager, and data protection-into a scale-out NAS cluster with a distributed file system.
DNF Security Unified Scale out Storage (USO) adds capabilities that simplify storage for video surveillance systems.
- Unified Scale out (USO) Storage Appliances deliver scalability and redundancy as a Scale out NAS and fully featured SAN (iSCSI and optional Fibre Channel), all in one easy to manage appliance. USO series of appliances were designed for customer’s requiring a powerful storage solution that can scale out storage capacity while scaling up performance.
- The Scale out NAS feature of the USO allows you to “scale out” as your business grows by adding nodes without losing performance. With the USO you can expand one or more volumes across multiple nodes using no metadata and a single namespace. Usable bandwidth increases as new nodes are added. Best of all, you can manage multiple nodes with just a single user interface.
- Ranging in size from 8 to 36 drives per chassis, the USO can be scaled up to 256 drives per node and scaled out with additional nodes added as needed. For added flexibility, configurations can be mixed and matched according to customer need with any combinations of near-line 7200RPM SAS, enterprise 10k or 15k SAS, and SSD drives.
- The cornerstone of USO SAN + NAS Appliances is StoneFly’s patented storage virtualization engine running the award winning StoneFly StoneFusion SAN operating system. StoneFusion provides iSCSI block-level provisioning as well as centralized storage management and advanced storage features including thin provisioning with space reclamation, synchronous campus mirroring and 2520 delta-based snapshots per subsystem. Optional features include asynchronous replication, hardware-enabled AES 256 block level volume encryption, optimized data deduplication for efficient storage utilization, Fibre Channel SAN target, and Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) agents for quiescing databases.
DNF Security USO is ideally suited to work with large, centralized surveillance systems. Scale out NAS radically simplifies a surveillance system’s design, operation and augmentation. It also protects against failure and delivers better ROI than other solutions.
To know more call 510.265.1122 or click on DNF Security USO