Businesses are becoming digitally active these days and in such scenarios data loss can prove costly and extremely risky to every business. That’s why every company big or small needs a BDR (backup and disaster recovery) solution.
Basically, a BDR is a combination of data backup and disaster recovery solution that are designed to work together to ensure uptime, diminish data loss, ensure and maximize productivity in the midst of a cyber attack, natural disaster or other compromising situation. In best words, BDR keeps businesses safe when trouble strikes and helps in maintaining data continuity.
According to a research conducted by Security Weekly, the enterprise level data loss has increased by 400 percent over the past two years and the trend doesn’t appear to be slowing down any time soon.
Another research firm IT web suggests that the total cost of data breaches will be more than $2.1 trillion by 2019. A recent Verizon report suggests that small data breaches- those with fewer than 100 files lost- cost between $18,120 and $35,730.
So, what does a Backup and Disaster Recovery plan offer to businesses?
The top five benefits offered by BDR are lined up below-
- Protects against effects of natural disasters- Natural or man made disasters are unpredictable and according to the National Archives and Records Administration, more than 90% of companies that experience at least seven days of data center downtime go out of business within a year. So, if enterprises have a BDR plan, though it doesn’t help in preventing natural disasters, it do helps in protecting data ensuring minimum or almost zero downtime.
- Decreases impact of cyber attacks- Cyber crime is increasing at an exponential rate these days and with Ransomware on prowl, the level of threat surges to sky limits. As more and more data is being moved online, cyber criminals are increasing their efforts and focusing on businesses that they believe are unprotected. What all this means is that the bad guys are keeping an eye on small businesses which leave their data unprotected. In this situation, data backup can save you from troubles. If the bad guys get hold of our production data, then your backup copy can keep data continuity intact. Then what if the bad guy starts blackmailing to leak the data? Well, that’s a different situation and an other topic to discuss.
- Critical data safe- Every business has critical data in store and if this confidential info about a client or customer falls into wrong hands, than your project or whole of your business can fall into jeopardy. That’s where a BDR plan ensures that all of this info is properly stored and controlled and thus helps in keeping your brand reputation intact.
- Human errors- Apart from natural disasters and cyber attacks, sometimes employees may also cause biggest data losses. In most cases, it is done unintentionally. That’s why it’s so important for businesses not only to train employees properly, but also invest in backup solutions.
- Systems Fail- In rarest of the events, no matter how redundant they are, system failures occur. Even the hardware that comes with 99.9 percent uptime guarantees will falter every once in a while. As such, businesses must invest in robust BDR plans that account for all these risks.So, here’s what to look for in a BDR solution?
- If a backup and disaster recovery solution is so important, then why don’t we go for it?
- Hardware compatibility- Depending on the hardware and software your data centers uses, a BDR solution should be tailored to the current setup. Therefore, keep this in mind as you start comparing options.
- Must be scalable- As your business grows in future, data growth will also be proportional. So, go for a BDR which is scalable.
- Support is essential- You never know when a disaster will strike. Make sure that your BDR vendor offers 24×7 technical support.
- Reputation- Nowadays, everything is available on Google. Just search for the vendor you want to go for and check whether they are financially sound, have nice reviews, how long has it been on the market and what are they offering. Go for a company which offers technical details of their solution and where they can be deployed.StoneFly, Inc. a wholly owned business subsidiary of Dynamic Network Factory offers physical as well as cloud based Backup and Disaster Recovery solutions. These products not only meet the above said criterion on a perfect note, but are also affordably reliable.
- If you can find a BDR solution that meets these four criteria, then you’ve probably found the right solution for your business.