Finland based company delivering material handling systems to enterprises worldwide is relying on StoneFly Hyper Converged HA DR365 Fusion Backup and Disaster recovery system for its massive data backup needs. The said business relies on data created since the firm began in 1984, such as two dimensional drawings and three dimensional plans. StoneFly DR365 is being utilized to protect highly critical data and make it available at all times.
The Business Challenge
The IT team working for Finland based company was very much in fear of losing data or losing access to data when catastrophic strikes. If the data center can’t restore data quickly, project work could stop for hours. Moreover, if engineers can’t access data required by the company’s sales team to prepare digital proposals for their current and prospective clients, then it will bring in huge losses to the company.
The company’s legacy backup system and tool was old-fashioned, complicated, unreliable, slow and expensive. So, recovery was taking long time and becoming complex, creating a nightmare to the administration.
The StoneFly Solution
StoneFly DR365 eliminated the two most feared business risks caused by the company’s legacy backup systems and tools- downtime and data loss.
The Finland based company uses DR365 Fusion Cluster to backup 12TB on 135 VMware vSphere virtual machines in its data center and at remote sites each day. This highly available hyper converged backup appliance also offers replication to offsite data storage for compliance purposes by integrating it to StoneFly Cloud Drive.
Compared to the legacy backup system, StoneFly hyper converged backup and disaster recovery system backed up data 50% faster in data centers and three times faster in remote sites.
As each DR365 Fusion Cluster appliance can provide anywhere from a few Terabytes all of the way up to 640 Terabytes of backup storage capacity the Finland based company will never face any capacity issues in future . Every cluster appliance can accommodate any combination of nearline SAS, enterprise SAS, or enterprise SSD storage tiers as required, achieving the performance needed by the business.
An embedded hypervisor on each cluster node allows backed up VMs and new user-created VMs to be spun up directly on the DR365 Fusion Cluster appliance.
The backup engine automatically creates backup images of physical and virtual servers based on flexible user-defined policy. These images can be restored (bare metal recovery) to the same hardware, to dissimilar hardware to build a new server, or can be mounted as a drive to retrieve an earlier copy of a specific file, folder, etc.
Every backup can also be automatically converted into a Virtual Machine. These Virtual Machines can then be quickly spun up and hosted on the DR365 Fusion Cluster appliance. This feature is quite useful for business continuity of production environment if a physical server or workstation goes down and needs to be repaired. Replica Virtual Machines can also be used for any testing and the user might choose including non-invasive compliance testing.
- The StoneFly DR365 Fusion Cluster solution eliminated the risk of downtime and data loss as it offered the best recoverability of backups so business operations remain up and running.
- As critical data is also hosted on a StoneFly Cloud Drive, the data center operations remain protected against any kind of catastrophic disasters.
- DR365 Fusion is the ideal purpose-built hyper-converged infrastructure solution to consolidate all of your server and backup systems into one easy to manage high-availability cluster appliance. So, this solution was acting as a total backup solution.
- The Finland based company managed all of their enterprise backup operations through a single central management console.
- Use of virtualized operating systems allowed complete hardware utilization and considerable reduction in power and cooling costs.
- The new solution deployed in the retail company reduced the CapEx and OpEx of datacenter by as much as one-third when the DR365 Fusion appliance and its capabilities were fully implemented in an operation.