As Enterprises are turning towards digitalization to obtain more sophistication, they are becoming more dependent on IT for almost all of their operations. This has led to growth in demand for data center services and as a result of this trend data center managers are facing the challenge of optimum utilization of available data center space to obtain utmost efficiency.
One of the best approaches to deal with such challenges is to consolidate the white space and gray space in data centers to improve operational capabilities. Want to know how?
First to all those who want to know the exact difference between white space and gray space in data centers, here’s a brief elaboration.
White space in data centers is the space allocated for IT equipment or the space where IT equipment is placed. It includes servers, storage, network gear, racks, air conditioning units, power distribution systems.
Gray space in data centers is the area where back-end equipment is located. This includes switch gear, UPS, transformers, chillers and generators.
By using some strategies to consolidate white space and gray space, data center managers can improve their data centers operational efficiency and availability. Some of those core strategies are listed below-
- Virtualization- With the help of the technology of virtualization less efficient devices can be replaced with a small number of highly efficient ones and this step can save a lot of data center space. VMware, Hyper V and other virtualization management systems can be deployed to create a fully virtualized environment.
- Leveraging cloud computing resources- Cloud helps enterprise businesses lessen their IT infrastructure and management. It also saves a lot of investment and operational costs for the company operating the data center.
- Data center planning– data center infrastructure management tools such as DCIM software help in estimation of power and servers requirement on a current note and in future as well. It helps in optimal sizing of data centers, saving the wastage of space due to lack of planning.
- Switching over to SSDs- Solid State Drives are faster and more efficient than hard drives when it comes to performance and power consumption. Therefore, replacing HDDs with SSDs can also help in improving data center efficiency.
Gray space efficiency techniques are very less, when compared to white space efficiency in data centers.
- Technologies like flywheel help in increasing the momentum of the machines. In case of power fluctuations, disk continues to spin because of the momentum and thus produces additional power which UPS uses as the emergency brief standby power. In a way, it reduces the number of batteries needed for power supply which in turn saves space for storing them.
- Also usage of solar power panels can also reduce power bills of data centers, as all external lighting needs can be satiated with solar energy.
- Water cooling in data centers can also help in reducing the costs incurred by cooling solutions. This helps in reducing power costs by 30%.
- In places where naturally cool air is available, data centers can save a lot on cooling costs. Facebook stands as the best example in doing so.
To know more such energy efficiency techniques approach DNF Corporation. It can prove as a one stop solution for all your data center needs.